Thursday, November 1, 2012

HOW TO: KIMBRA & GOTYE COSTUME

So everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about with this week's Chic of the Week -- Gotye and Kimbra in the "Somebody That I Used to Know" music video.

I heard this song last year and fell in love with the art and stop animation in the video, and with over 340 million views on youtube, I'm definitely not alone.

But in case you've been hiding under a rock for most of 2012, here it is:

This year, Josh and I threw a huge Halloween party at our house, and wanted to do something amazing for our costumes. 
It turned out to be by far the most talked about, enjoyed and misinterpreted costume we've ever come up with. 
And while I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is throwing a party (I had about ten panic attacks while trying to pull this off and decorate our entire house), you will be the best dressed at any costume party. 
Again, I can't stress enough that TIME will be a huge factor here.
I would give yourself 5-8 hours, depending on how much of a perfectionist you are and how much of your body you're planning to cover.
What you'll need:
Body paint in white, light and dark brown, red, green, black, grey, yellow
Mehron Barrier Spray
Acrylic Paint in the same colors as the body paint 
Flesh tone underwear 
Flesh tone Bandeau
Flesh tone or white boxer briefs
Wide tipped black permanent marker
Black shoulder length wig with bangs
Brown wavy haired wig
Sponges - enough to use only one for each color of body paint
Paintbrushes - enough for each color of acrylic
Here is the picture we went off of. It gives you a good idea of the shades you will need to mix.

First, I painted my bandeau. Because you can't see the front, I tried to use the colors from the back to judge what the front would be like. Once I painted my Bandeau, I added black lines with my sharpie and let it dry. 

We found that the easiest way to paint the underwear was to paint them while wearing them. This being the case, you may want them painted by someone you feel comfortable with. 

Once you've finished painting your bandeau and underwear, spray your entire body with Mehron Barrier Spray and let it dry. Then bring out your body paint and start mixing your colors to match them to the acrylic paint.

Start painting your body, using different sponges for each color. After you've completed the shapes, add the black lines using a fine paint brush. 

Here is the completed look:



The lighting we had doesn't show the colors well at all, and we didn't do it as well as we could have if we had more time to perfect it.

But at this point, all you need to do is put on your wigs, paint you faces, and watch everyone freak. 

Send us the pictures of your costumes!

xx Lo

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow that is awesome! xD Would have loved to see the reactions of others xDD
    -------
    Visit my fashion/beauty blog at dailydoseofgenius.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a crazy amazing idea! Puts my quickly made wolf-as-little-red-riding-hood to shame.

    http://anni-dot-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, SO great. Seriously. Awesome. You guys could've had me fooled.

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much. I looked at all of your blogs and LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete